Trailer Build - Week Eighteen - March 12, 2017


Now that most of the wiring is coming to a close, its time to get the battery compartment started.  I welded the tongue frame up back a couple months ago, so I need to cut the front sides and make the lid.  I purchase another sheet of 3/4" plywood to get the box going.  the box is 2 foot tall with a 1 foot radius on the top.  I also contoured the bottom to follow the 9 inch radius of the main trailer to give it a nice finish from the profile.


Battery Box Sides Cut and Fitted Up to Curve

Front View with Battery and Inverter / Distribution Panel Set for Height Check


Front Panel Set


Closeup of Battery Box at Curve

With the battery box frame wended to the trailer tongue, I noticed the tongue flexes slightly.  I decided to keep the box independent from the trailer and cut the box so I would have a 1/2 inch gap between the main cab and the battery box.  I will cover the gap with trim so the box can float behind the trim while the tongue flexes.

Profile of Battery Box

Don't throw your scrap pieces out until your finished with the trailer.  All these leftovers can be used for more part or piece as you get to the finish details.

Curved Ribs for Battery Box Lid Cut from Scrap


Battery Box Lid Assembled and Positioned

1/4 Inch Spacer Needed for Hurricane Hinge

1/2 Inch Spacer at Bottom for Gasket and Aluminum Trim


Frame Glued Up for Interior Skin


Clamping of Skin to Frame


Checking for Gaps and Skin Alignment

Add  Balance of the Clamps for Full Skin Contact

Let the Glue Set

While the glue is setting on the battery box, I proceeded to measure out the spar bracing pieces I cut back when the side panels were cut.  These curved pieces will be cut where ever there is a spar to brace between spars and it also provides a wider surface to attach the exterior skin and a place to screw into with the finish trim on top.


Spar Bracing Clamped to Exterior to Measure Cuts 


Ready to Mark Spar Locations on Brace for Cutting

I also took the time to place my last coat of urethane on the ceiling of the interior which completes the major work on the sleeping quarters.


Final Coat of Urethane

Another View of Urethane on Head Liner




No comments:

Post a Comment