Trailer Build - Week Three - October 30, 2016


I got around to cleaning up may things over the week and weekend along with a surprise of the suspension being delivered Friday evening, so I got after it on Saturday.


Receiver Hitch Back-end Boxed-in 
Trailer Tongue Ends Boxed-in





















So when I started building the frame, I had not decided on what type of suspension to purchase.  I did not want a leaf spring setup as the main axle hangs too low and impacts from potholes transfer to the other wheel and makes for a rougher ride on the trailer.  I looked at torsion axles but if the torsion springs ever wear out, you have to replace the entire axle so I went with the Timbren axle-less suspension.  I figured there would probably be a conflict in which the bolt holes landed on one of the x-frames.  I moved the axle center-line 3.75 inches closer to the tongue to avoid the conflict, and since the bulk of the suspension weight is towards the front, I figured I would not be ass-heavy.

Cross Frame Conflict with Bolt Side Bolt Holes
3.75 Inch Re-position of  Axle Centerline





















To make sure I did not have any conflicts with doors or fenders, I re-laid out the axle and wheel location on the CADD drawing and all is good.



Original Axle Location



New Timbren Axle Location

I had to grind the x-frame member weld smooth and also needed to take a little material from the x-member because I did not weld this particular x-frame member flush with the perimeter frame.

Leveling of x-frame with perimeter frame; took approx 1/32 off the x-frame

You have 2 options with Timbren; add a support plate and bolt through the side frame and up through the support plate or you can bolt through the side of the frame only and run a 2x2 square tube support piece between both suspension units that have built-in sockets to receive the tube (shown below on right) I moved forward with the gusseted plate to keep the clearance as high as possible, plus I have a x-frame within 3 inches of where Timbren wants the added support.  I figure I can always add the support tube later if needed.



Support plate tack welded
Location of receivers for x-member

Support plate welded, ground and drilled

In order to assure everything is perfect so the trailer runs straight and excessive tire wear is limited, the axle centers cannot be off more than 1/8 inch from the center of the tongue.  Since I'm working alone and this measurement is taken multiple times, I tack welded a nail on the center of the tongue receiver so I could re-measure from side to side with ease.
16d nail tack welded to tongue for hooking the tape measure onto the head

I made all measurements from the nail head to the center of the grease zerk centered in the axle.


Left side measured to center of grease zerk


Right side measured to center of grease zerk
I am pleased to say, even after checking these dimensions 10+ times as I initially set the suspension, drilled the holes, bolted it up, taking the suspension on and off several times, it came out perfectly!


All Bolted up and ready to go!
.
As long as the trailer frame is upside down, I added a couple last items before I flip it over.  Installed the hubs, safety chain connection and the tongue jack.




I have been deliberating on the wheel and tire style for awhile now but I finally made my decision now that the axle is installed and am sure which offset I want for the trailer wheels.  Time to order the wheels and tires this week, take the trailer on a test run and clean up the frame for paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment