Trailer Build - Week Fourteen - February 12, 2017


I forgot to take pictures of the cutting board block out support and trim out, but I took 1-1/2 inch wide x 1/16 thick aluminum flat stock and used gorilla glue to adhere the aluminum to the bottom of the coutertop.  I left 1/2 inch exposed on all sides to support the bottom of the cutting board insert and glued the remaining 1 inch width to the underside.  As you can see with the lack of space, I could have screwed the aluminum flat stock to the underside of the countertop, but that would have required me to remove the water tank.  I wasn't going there with the amount of work needed to be completed before Spring arrives.  I have all the confidence in the world that 38 square inches of bonded surface area of aluminum can handle the working load of a 19 x 9 inch cutting board.


1/2 inch Aluminum Support Lip on All Sides 

Completed Frame Out for Cutting Board

I needed to complete the trim out so I could get the proper depth dimension for the butcher block cutting board I made in a previous post.  A friend at work has a plainer and will plain to the thickness of 7/8" to be flush with the frame molding.


Now that the cabinet boxes are in place, I cut the drawer fronts to size along with the stereo compartment and switch panel fronts.  I received some switches, USB ports and Volt Meter components this week which were needed to size the cutouts and layout the switch spacing.


The push button below are what I purchased for powering on / of the water pump, ground effect lights, stereo, etc.  The buttons have a blue LED angle eye ring that lights up when the power is on.  Switches cost approx $6 each.
19 MM Angle Eye Push Power Button

USB and Volt Meter Components for Galley and Cabin


Dry Fit of Drawer Fronts, Stereo Panel and Power Panel Front

Drawer Front for Cooler Drawer

All Drawer Fronts Positioned before Staining

Drawer Fronts Stained and 1st Coat of Urethane

Switch Panel Face - Addition Staining Process
I built the cabinet boxes and faces out of cherry wood which I had left over from a cabinet project I built for my home.  I just put urethane on my kitchen cabinets but I wanted a darker stain on the trailer so I decided to do a 2 stain process of Brazilian Rosewood gel stain then a Dark Walnut conventional stain.  I found out that cherry wood can turn out blotchy if you don't do a sanding sealer first, and for some reason, this piece took 4 coats of Dark Walnut after the Brazilian Rosewood to get it to match the rest..........I hate staining and finish wood projects!


I also completed the face frame and cabinet doors for the cabin cupboard; I got the hinges installed and door pulls mounted.  Ready to be installed once the interior is finished.

Cabinet Face Frame and Doors Complete

Cabinet Face Frame and Doors Complete - View 2

I picked up the speakers this week and got the cutouts done and speakers installed.  I have never purchased component speakers before so I thought I would give them a try.  Since the speakers project into the cabin cabinets, I figure whats the difference if crossovers are also in the cabinet!

Speakers Installed in Galley Area

Speaker Install - View 2

I spent a couple hours sanding the interior of the cabin after I put 2 coats of urethane on the walls.  I just finished the final coat and letting it dry.

Finish Coat on Cab Interior

I also received the power converter I order last week which will charge the batteries and convert power to DC when parked at a camp site with shore power.  Since I'm not much of an electrician, this thing looks a little intimidating!  I have not constructed the battery compartment yet where this will be installed, so I have some time to figure it out.
Power Converter Panel

Shore Power Receptacle and Solar Power Connector Housing 
The solar power housing will be mounted on the roof which will have the electrical roughed into the battery compartment.  This wiring will be run under the roof panel so the wires are concealed.  This housing will keep the connection water tight for a future connection when I figure I can afford to put a solar panel on the roof.  The housing cost $24 so its a cheap provision to add solar in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment