Trailer Build - Week One - October 16, 2016

I got the cross frames installed and all welded up this week.  Once the welding was completed on the side to receive the plywood deck, I ground the welds flush with the square tubing so the plywood would sit completely level with the frame when I get to that stage of the build.






















 I flipped the frame over and finished some cleanup welds and installed a receiver hitch to the back end of the trailer frame so a receiver hitch styled bike rack can be attached.  The 24 inch long receivers I purchased were not long enough to be carried by 2 frame members and accommodate the 9-1/2 inch projection I needed, so I cut 10 inches off one of the spares and butt welded them together.  I projected the receiver out 9-1/2 inches beyond the frame as the back of the trailer has a 9 inch radii that begins at the end of the trailer frame; this way the hitch will be almost flush with the back of the camper once its finished. I also beveled the receiver on the leading edge to prevent it from getting hung-up on rocks when we take it off road; still need to box in the end.  I doubt hangups will happen since I will have almost 20 inches of ground clearance per my design, but its easier to do it now rather than later!























I also added some fold up leveling leg frame supports to the back end of the trailer from some scrap plate I was able to get my hands on.  The stuff was pretty rusty but with a little grinder and twisted wire brush time on a disc grinder, it cleaned up decently.



I got the dimensions for the telescoping leveling legs from the supplier on-line so I could make the support plates in advance of the legs arriving.  It was difficult to find fold-up legs that could accommodate 20+ inches of ground clearance; I found some that had 23 inch extension, so I may need to carry some blocking for the real uneven ground.  I will give you a better idea what I am talking about once the legs arrive and I get them installed.

I will post more after this weekends installation of the A-frame tongue assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment